EASA Commercial Pilot Licence
The Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) raises the proficiency of your flying and introduces you to more complex aircraft.
The aim of the EASA Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) course is to raise the proficiency of your flying to a commercial standard. Initial training will improve your general handling skills and the course then moves on to cover cross-country navigation, emergency and abnormal procedures. The first 20 hours are flown on the PA28 with the final 5 hours flown on the PA28R which has a retractable undercarriage and other complex systems which will be taught as part of the course. For students without a valid instrument rating, the course will include 10 hours of IFR training. The CPL course culminates in a formal pre-test assessment just before a test with a flight examiner.
Training full time, the CPL course takes between 3 and 4 weeks subject to weather conditions. It is ideally completed on a full time basis but if this is not suitable Westair Flying School are extremely flexible and the course can be tailored to fit with your needs.
- Hold a valid PPL(A)
- EASA Class 1 medical (before licence issue)
- 150 hours total (200 required before licence issue)
- 100 hours pilot in command
- Completed 20 hours cross-country flying as pilot in command
- Passed CPL/ATPL Theoretical Knowledge Examinations
- Completed a cross country flight of 300nm/540km with 2 landings away from the point of departure.
- Minimum age for licence issue: 18 years
- 25 hours total flight time including:
- At least 20 hours in a PA28
- At least 5 hours in a complex single engine aircraft (PA28R)
- CPL Skills Test
EASA Single Engine CPL Package
- 20 hours flying with instruction in a PA28 (see note below)
- 5 hours flying with instruction in a PA28R
- Your first 25 landings at Blackpool
- All pre-flight briefs and debriefs
- Club Joining fee (if applicable)
- First year of membership (if applicable)
- PA28R Flight Manual
- Westair PA28 approved checklist
- Westair PA28R approved checklist
*note, for IR qualified pilots only 10 hours PA28 training is required. Please see our CPL Costs page for further details*
What’s not included
- Class 1 Medical examination fee
- Hire of PA28R for Skill Test
- CPL Skill Test fee
- Licence application fee
- 25 hours is the minimum CPL training requirement. Any additional hours or landings will be charged at our current rates.
- If you wish to pay for your CPL training over several payments, please contact the office to discuss instalment terms.